Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Carwin vs Nelson Official for New Years day.

Shane Carwin will be back in the cage on New Years day for the first time since facing off with UFC Heavyweight Champ Brock Lesnar. His opponent is Roy "Big Country" Nelson. Although I don't see this going good for Nelson, his ground game is very under rated. He is a BJJ Black Belt under Renzo Gracie, and has defeated the likes of Frank Mir in a 2003 Grappler Quest tournament.

If Roy can take it to the ground, he very well could submit Carwin especially in the late 2nd to 3rd rounds. But if he tries to stand with Carwin like he did with JDS, I see another first round KO for Carwint. Here is what Carwin had to say about his New Years day bout with Roy Nelson:

“I will be fighting Roy Nelson on 1-1-11 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The fight will be the Co-Main Event of the Edgar Maynard rematch. I think Roy is a tough opponent for anyone. He has been in several main event situations and has fought a lot of veterans in the sport," Carwin wrote today. "I am honored to be fighting again and feel like Roy is a worth opponent. My goal for the fight is to be exciting and go home with the win. I have a lot to prove as does Roy so this should make for a great fight.”

Also, check out this video of Roy Nelson vs Frank Mir in the 2003 Grapplers Quest Tournament. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Damn, I had no idea Roy Nelson beat Mir! That's insane!

    ReplyDelete